Con or Bust has free memberships available, first-come first-serve, for fans of color/non-white fans to the following new con:
- Myths and Legends Convention (MALCon), August 14 – 16, 2015, Denver, CO, USA. Myths and Legends Convention celebrates our modern myths and legends; the focus in 2015 is on Firefly, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Supernatural, Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones. Guests include Keith DiCandido, Brian of Draco and the Malfoys, Stant Litore, Pandora Celtica, Tomas O’Dreams, Kilted Man, Quincy Allen, and Vivian Trask.
MALCon has donated three weekend tickets to Con or Bust.
Behind the cut are allllllll the other cons that fans of color/non-white fans can get free memberships to right now. Check out the Upcoming Cons page for the complete, most up-to-date list, and claim them from using the form linked on the Request Assistance page!
- Diversicon 23, July 24-26, 2015, Saint Paul, MN, USA. Diversicon provides great panels, discussions, readings and a really fun auction with a strong literate focus. Its Guest of Honor is Ytasha L. Womack and its Special Guest is Rob Callahan.
An individual donated one membership to Con or Bust in Ytasha L. Womack’s honor, which was previously claimed and is now available again.
- Pi-Con, July 31-August 2, 2015, Windsor Locks, CT, USA. Pi-Con is “the friendliest little convention in New England”; its Guest of Honor is Tanya Huff and its Guest of Awesome is Vikki Ciaffone.
Pi-Con has donated six memberships to Con or Bust.
- Nine Worlds, 7-9 August 2015, London, England, UK. Nine Worlds is about gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science, geek culture, meeting people and having a really big party.
Nine Worlds has donated twenty (20) passes to Con or Bust, to be claimed by 1 August, of which 10 remain.
- Sasquan, August 19-23, 2015, Spokane, WA, USA. Sasquan is the 73rd World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon). Its guests of honor are Brad Foster, David Gerrold, Vonda N. McIntyre, Tom Smith, and Leslie Turek.
Sasquan donated three attending memberships to Con or Bust, which have been claimed. Two individuals each donated an attending membership to Con or Bust, which have been claimed. Another individual has donated twenty-three (23) attending memberships, which must be claimed in time for the recipient to make the August 2 pre-registration deadline. Nine of those have been claimed; fourteen remain.
- BristolCon, September 26th 2015, Bristol, England UK. BristolCon is a fun, friendly and informative one-day con. Its Guests of Honour in 2015 will be writers Jasper Fforde and Jaine Fenn, with a possible artist GoH to be confirmed.
BristolCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which should be claimed by the end of August; one remains.
- Sirens, October 8–11, 2015, Denver, CO, USA. Sirens is a conference dedicated to the remarkable women of fantasy literature: readers, authors, publishing professionals, scholars, educators, librarians, and even characters. Its Guests of Honor are Rae Carson, Kate Elliott, and Yoon Ha Lee, and its theme is rebels and revolutionaries.
An individual has donated two registrations and shuttle tickets, one of which is still available. (Sirens also donated three registrations and shuttle tickets, which have all been claimed.)
- JOFCon MSP, October 9-11, 2015, Minneapolis, MN, USA. JOFs are Journeymen of Fandom, including Journeywomen, Journeypersons, Journeybots, Journeyfolk, Journeyfen, Journeyworkers, & Journeyplatypi. All are welcome, so long as they’re interested in learning more about fanac (“fannish activities”).
JOFCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- Maneki Neko Con, October 9-11, 2015, Matteson, IL, USA. Maneki Neko Con is an all-ages science fiction, fantasy, anime, gaming, comics, and miscellaneous geeky fandom convention in Chicago’s south suburbs.
Maneki Neko Con has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- Octocon, October 9-11, Dublin, Ireland. Octocon is the National Irish Science Fiction Convention. Its Guests of Honor this year are Maura McHugh and Emma Newman.
Octocon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, of which one remains.
- GeekGirlCon, October 10-11, 2015, Seattle, WA, USA. GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women world-wide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events.
GeekGirlCon has donated six passes to Con or Bust, of which one remains. I Need Diverse Games has also sponsored two passes.
- Wincon, October 15-18, 2015, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Wincon’s mission is to bring together a diverse group of internet-based media fans in an inclusive environment to engage in fannish activities and foster meaningful connections. It aims to provide programming created and led by attendees, on topics drawn from a variety of sources and involving everything from detailed meta to wildly creative fanworks, encompassing all aspects of fandom culture.
Wincon has donated ten memberships to Con or Bust.
- Arcana, October 23-25, 2015, St. Paul, MN, USA. Arcana is a small horror/dark fantasy con; its Guest of Honor is Catherine Lundoff.
Ms. Lundoff has offered to donate one membership to Arcana.