Originally posted at Con or Bust
by Kate Nepveu. All comments must be made there.
[Cross-posted from TinyLetter. Get future newsletters delivered to your inbox by subscribing.]
Welcome back to the Con or Bust newsletter, which approximately twice a month updates you on Con or Bust events and deadlines and brings you news related to diversity in SFF fandom (scholarships, workshops, calls for submissions, awards, and the like). Your email address will always be kept private and you can unsubscribe at any time, at the bottom of the email.
Con or Bust News
- March 3, 2017: deadline to become a candidate for election to Con or Bust’s Board of Directors.
- March 15, 2017: deadline to request a membership to StokerCon, April 27-30, 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- March 17, 2017: deadline to request a membership to Lunacon, April 7-9, 2017, Tarrytown, NY, USA.
The following cons have recently donated memberships to Con or Bust:
- Lunacon, April 7-9, 2017, Tarrytown, NY, USA.
- CrossingsCon, August 4–August 6, 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA.
Here is the full list of conventions to which memberships are available.
The following cons donated memberships to Con or Bust (or, occasionally, an individual donated memberships), and are happening now or soon, in case you’re looking for last-minute plans. Unless otherwise noted, memberships are notavailable to these cons.
- Emerald City Comicon, March 2-5, 2017, Seattle, WA, USA.
- HELIOsphere, March 10-12, 2017, Tarrytown, NY, USA.
- MidSouthCon, March 24-26, 2017, Memphis, TN, USA.
- As noted above, Con or Bust will be electing up to four members to its Board of Directors on March 19; candidate statements are due March 3 — two days from now! Anyone can be a candidate; if you are interested, or if you want to encourage someone else to run, head to the website for more information. Please spread the word — being a Director is a low time commitment, but Con or Bust’s continued operation depends on awesome people taking an interest!
- Con or Bust’s annual auction will take place in mid-to-late April. Start thinking about what you might like to offer and what you might like to bid on — you’ll be able to offer items for bid well in advance of the auction (to be announced as soon as I get the website all squeaky-clean and ready).
- The Horror Writers Association is accepting applications through March 15, 2017, for its Scholarship From Hell, which includes a trip to StokerCon and participation in the intensive, hands-on workshop environment of “Horror University.” StokerCon is April 27-30, 2017, in Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Fear No Lit is accepting applications through August 31, 2017, for the Submerging Writer Fellowship. The Fellowship provides $500 toward AWP 18, $500 no-strings-attached, and a chapbook and launch party at AWP. Writers are eligible if they don’t have a book, a major award, or current participation in an MFA/PhD program.
- Writing the Other is offering a five-week online course titled Writing Inclusive Fiction, taught by Nisi Shawl and K Tempest Bradford, that runs from April 6 – May 14, 2017. Pay-what-you-can-afford and scholarships are available (deadline March 28).
And finally, here is a cute animal picture, of a cheerful retriever mix.
Thanks for reading! See you in a couple of weeks.